Thursday, March 05, 2009

Focus Group in Lowell

This past weekend, I conducted a focus group in Lowell, MA, the second largest Cambodian community in the country. I regret not doing it a long time ago when I first conceived of Khmer Legacies.

With the help of Harry Schnur from the Lynn Community Health Center, Khmer Legacies Boardmembers Sonith Peou and Samkhann Khoeun, Linda Sou of Lowell Community Health, we conducted two separate focus groups - one with the older generation and one with the younger generation.

The reactions we got to the work of Khmer Legacies was overwhelming positive. Yes, this is important work and someone should be doing it. Yet there seemed to be so many questions about readiness. Are older survivors ready to talk? Is the younger generation ready to listen?

I began to question the nature of leadership itself. Is it the role of Khmer Legacies to draw the community toward a higher level of consciousness and contribution? Is that a presumptious and potentially dangerous position given the trauma the community has faced. Is the best way to serve the community to challenge it?

Any thoughts from you would be helpful . . .

1 comment:

The Smalls of India said...

You are an inspiration to all of us who want to raise a spotlight on important and neglected issues. I saw your film in Seattle last year and was blown away. I am a MD and just finished my first feature doc about my dad suffering from schizophrenia. I plan to do activism with the film and love following what you do. Keep it up and what fun you are having along the way....which is great, for it should be fun........if improving the world isn't fun, than what is? Thank you, Delaney Ruston, MD www.unlistedfilm.com