Monday, January 19, 2009

First Board Meeting

We had our first board meeting ever this past Saturday. I was so nervous about the event. It is one of the necessary steps that any organization must take in order to run functionally.

And yet I had all of these anxieties and fears about the board members being disengaged in the work. I have heard so many horror stories of ineffective boards. I also feared that I am not a good enough leader to warrant the energy and trust of these important community leaders who spend their time doing such important work.

No matter how frightening, I had to pull the curtain behind the operations of Khmer Legacies since inception. But Jane Jung, a Yale MFA student who is helping me manage the board, reminded me that the board members want to see me and Khmer Legacies succeed.

And that was exactly the tone of the meeting. I am so glad to know they have my back!

No comments: